Not every notebook can be the best laptop for writers. Much like photographers, 3D designers and video editors, writers have specific needs when it comes to their main writing tool, even if it seems to outsiders that all they need are Microsoft Word and a working keyboard.
All that a writer needs is a laptop which has a comfortable keyboard, compact design, vibrant display and good battery backup. Portability or size is a factor too but it matters for some writers, not all.
So, in this guide, we’ve taken those extra factors into consideration to help us come up with our top 5 choices for the best laptops for writers. The laptops below are spread out among a variety of different price points and feature sets, too, so that there should be an option that will work for you.
What makes the Best Laptop for Writers?
The answer to this question is: Any laptop having a compact design, ergonomic keyboard and a good battery backup will prove good for writing purposes. High Specifications won’t help you out in this case, all you need is a comfortable laptop with a nice screen which you can use for hours without any hesitation.
- Keyboard: A laptop with best keyboard fo writers is the top priority here. No matter how good a laptop is, but if the keyboard is not comfortable, it won’t be helpful for writers.
- Display: Writing content for long periods can be hectic sometimes. This is where you need a good resolution display. Any normal display will make your work more messy. Whereas, a good display like 2K or 4K will make it easy while reading the lines and clearly seeing the punctuation marks.
- Battery Backup: A good battery timing is necessary for all sort of uses. But for writers it is crucial. You might be traveling a lot, or you may need to sit in some corner far away so you could think and write better.
- Compact Design: Laptops for writers needs to be compact. This involves certain things like thin bezels, enough palm rest area, optimized keyboard and overall minimal nature. Compact design is important because a writer may travel a lot or he/she may change positions time and again for increasing productivity.
5 Best Laptop For Writers 2021:
|Lenovo ThinkPad E590||15.6 in||9.9 x 14.5 x 0.78 in||4.7 lbs|
|Acer Aspire E 15||15.6 in||15.02 x 10.2 x 1.19 in||5.27 lbs|
|Lenovo Yoga 730||15.6 in||14.2 x 9.8 x 0.7 in||2.65 lbs|
|Acer 14 Chromebook||14 in||13.43 x 9.31 x 0.67 in||3.42 lbs|
|MacBook Pro 13||13 in||12.6 x 8.31 x 0.57 in||3.02 lbs|
1. Lenovo ThinkPad E590 – Best Laptop For Writers Overall
Whether it’s price or writing fun, the ThinkPad E590 is the best laptop for writers.
It is one of the most powerful and impressive notebooks in the Lenovo ThinkPad line of notebooks.
From a writer’s point of view, the ThinkPad E590 has the right power, impeccable writing pleasure, and everyday entertainment and office functions.
In addition, compared to the previous ThinkPad series notebooks, the E590 is thinner, more powerful, more compact and more ergonomic.
It comes with a 15.6-inch Full HD IPS display and the latest 8th generation Intel Core i5 quad-core processor for any demanding writing task.
All in all, it is a best laptop for writers for less than $1000.
With a powerful sixth-generation Intel Core i5-6200U processor, the Acer Aspire E 15 is one of the most reliable notebooks for writers.
It has a reliable touchpad and backlit keyboard, which is a great combination for users who don’t like to use an external keyboard or mouse.
Recently, the Aspire series of notebooks appeared in many corporate offices, which shows that its quality has been recognized by users.
In addition, it comes in many different versions and is also available with an Intel Core i7 processor.
Although the E 15 is powerful enough for writers, if you want to play large games with it, you need an i7 processor.
We all know that the Yoga series and the ThinkPad series are Lenovo’s best-selling laptops, and they are known for their legendary keyboards.
It has a keyboard that rivals MAC, and it’s great if you’re used to an old-fashioned typing keyboard or desktop keyboard.
The MacBook Air still has the fastest solid state drive, but the CPU is weaker than Lenovo. If you often handle a lot of documents, the Yoga 730 can meet your needs.
However, they are not perfect. Some users have reported that some models have screen flicker. Fortunately, Lenovo provides quality after-sales service.
Overall, this is a laptop with an excellent keyboard, portable and long battery life.
Are you a writer with a limited budget? Or maybe your old laptop can’t get the job done, and you’re looking for something cheap and fast?
If so, the Acer 14 Chromebook might be a good choice.
It is very stylish, lightweight and portable, perfect for girls.
In addition, its battery life is very long, you can work for 12 hours on a single charge.
But it has a downside, if you don’t have an internet connection, you won’t be able to use it.
This means you can’t use software like Word in a disconnected network, but you can use programs like Google Docs.
Without a MacBook Pro, this list will be incomplete. It is the most expensive laptop on this list, but people who have bought it will not regret it.
It has everything you want, a clear display, ultra-fast processing speed, plenty of storage and up to 10 hours of battery life.
Not only that, but with all of these features, it’s a lightweight machine with a comfortable backlit keyboard.
If you like Apple’s product ecosystem and want a more powerful machine than the MacBook Air above, then this is your portable laptop.
Buyer’s Guide (Best laptop for writers)
This is 2021, and no longer do writers use pen and paper to write their thoughts. A laptop is their writing pad now. The best laptops for writers give them so much more in terms of freedom and the ability to make corrections and go back and forth effortlessly and so on.
If you are into any form of writing and are currently looking for a good laptop, you have arrived at the right place. Here are a few tips you would like to take into consideration while buying your laptop.
Laptop configuration for writers
- Storage: They are ideal for storage of at least 250GB. If you have a lot of business trips, you may want to consider upgrading your SSD drive.
- Graphics: If you often use graphics software such as CAD, we recommend that you use a discrete graphics card, but it is not required.
- Touch screen/writing pad: This is an optional feature, but if you plan to write down many handwritten notes, you may need a touch screen or tablet.
- Memory: Buy at least 4GB, but prefer 8GB or more.
- CPU: Although the editing text is not very demanding on the CPU, we still recommend that you purchase the CPU above i5.
Do I Need A Specific Laptop For Writing?
For the most part, a high-quality laptop will have useful writing features. However, such a laptop might still be either lacking or excessive for you: If you do extensive photo -, audio -, or video-editing as part of your writing project, you need to have enough storage, RAM, and graphics processing.
If serious gaming is part of your creative process, you need a powerful gaming laptop. On the other hand, these features might add expense—and maybe just get in your way—if you just want to type documents, Internet browse, and send/receive emails.